Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 29, 2011

CAN I ASK YOU A QUESTION?

How many of you have had this happen to you? You meet a guy and strike up a conversation so then he asks you out.  As the night wears on you suddenly realize he's done all the talking and you're getting a little seasick from nodding your head all night.  Now I know earlier dating etiquette (circa 1950s) would dictate that doing that is the proper thing to do as it is a boost to the 'gentleman's ego'.  I guess that means if I had been born far enough back to be dating then, it's more likely that I'd have ended up as a nun with a perpetual vow of silence.

I suppose if you really like the guy you can try to stick it out a couple more dates and see where it goes. But I can tell you, it's been my experience if he spends all his time talking and none of it asking questions, then where it goes is probably to the outhouse at the bottom of the hill.  Think about it.  As humans, we're curious by nature so if something interests us, we're inclined to check it out. If he isn't checking you out like a Netflix movie, my suggestion is hit the next mailbox.

I will say, that has to be a two-way street though. If you spend all your time talking about your best friend he may start wondering why he isn't going out with her. Another suggestion, if you think there's a chance he may be a guy with a gift of self-absorbed gab - TAKE A NAP.  No matter what, I've found it's still considered rude if you nod off while he's talking about the fiasco also known as his ex-wife.

One thing's for sure, if you want to flatter him... ask him.  Seriously, nothing flatters a guy more than asking him a question on a topic he's discussing (that way he thinks you're really paying attention). I'm not suggesting you turn into Oprah or anything here but a few well-placed questions just might steer him in your direction. Whether it's his mother's apple pie recipe or his new horse - ask him something... anything... and you'll be surprised by the glint in his eye. He may suddenly look at you like you're Sandra Bullock.  But if he looks at you more like you're F. Lee Bailey then you're probably as sunk as the Titanic anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment