Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday Morning Satire

Ahh.  Here we are another fine Saturday morning and on a holiday weekend at that!  I just spent the larger portion of my morning at a cross country meet cheering on my daughter.  I was so excited that I was yelling and cheering like a senior citizen cheerleader minus my pom poms. All that was missing was a cartwheel. And then it happened - with just one withering look she quickly reminded me it was a fine Saturday morning on a holiday weekend and SHE was sweating.  

At first my feelings were hurt but then I looked around and realized something:  I wasn't the only parent getting that look!  You know that 'look'.  It's a look we women learn as a teen and develop well into adulthood.  It's that look you get that tells YOU the answer to the question: "Honey, do these jeans make my butt look big?" You wondered where we learned it? Days like today, honey.  

I love going to events like cross country meets not to mention rodeos and playdays as they provide a great people watching opportunity.  One thing I've found in common is that we as parents (whether we want to admit it or not) do live vicariously through our children.  Events like this morning you overhear lots of the phrase "when I was a kid" and "kids these days don't train hard enough".  Really? Seriously?  How about YOU drop and give THEM 20... starting with that 20 pound party ball you've been carrying since college.  I know I'm fairly well in shape but I couldn't run 100 yards cross parking lot for a Macy's One Day Sale muchless run 2 miles cross country! 

It's no different with rodeo or playday parents either though.  That fence post's gonna split any second with all the wannabes and 'wish I were's perched on top.  (Remember the earlier blog story about how the fairy beer mother changed those 3 cowboys into bull riders?) Well when it comes to events like rodeos or playdays, fairy beer mothers are as busy as the tooth fairy at a little league hockey tournament.  

I realize today's issue isn't about dating and from time to time that may be the case.  At my age most single folks have kids and a lot even grandkids anyway so I think it fitting for an occasional children's story. 

In tomorrow's issue:  the country version of pole dancing.

Swingin' Saturday to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment