Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Picture and the Delete Key

I've done it!  I've broke the genetic code that makes up a loser.  It was SO simple  I don't know how I could've missed it.  For the DNA to be just right you take equal parts of Liar and User, mix lightly and there you have it:  Liar + User = Luser (pronounced Loser).  Ok, well, you get the picture.

If only it were that simple.  Ironic actually how complicated it can get when lying becomes a factor of any equation.  That's part of the problem with online dating - it allows for a cloak of anonymity that extends far beyond the physical.  Living in the country, I thought online dating was a natural outlet for meeting the ever elusive Mr. Right. 

One thing I found out is whether you live in the city or country, when it comes to online dating proceed with caution.  Many sites offer the chance to post or not post a picture.  The saying "A picture's worth a thousand words" certainly found a new home with online dating.  Let me demonstrate.  

I once dated someone that I met through friends for a few months and thought we were in a monogamous relationship (you know mutually exclusive).  I guess I thought so because he kept telling me he wanted no one else and wasn't looking for anyone else and I felt the same.  Anyway, he started acting strangely and remembering he had once stated he had tried the dating websites I decided to go fishing.  Sure enough, there he was - and he had just been online earlier that same day.  Now I don't know about you but to me mutually exclusive doesn't just mean a high-end sale at Neiman Marcus! I have a couple gal pals that were on that site so I decided we'd play a little hide and seek.  Boy did he take the bait - with both of them.  When confronted he tried to lie and explain his way out.  "It wasn't me... It was a friend on my profile...Someone hacked my profile..." You know the standard evasive answers.  Kinda like "The dog ate my homework".  

So, guys (and probably girls too), here's a word to the wise.  If you're in a committed relationship, you should have no reason to be on the dating websites.  If you must continue, however, here's an idea:  DON'T POST YOUR PICTURE!!  That falls into that ever popular category of "Things that make you go duh!"  

I don't want anyone getting the idea that I'm totally 'dissing' the dating websites.  It's not their fault.  I have actually met some very nice people on these sites and remain in contact as friends with them.  That I would say is a pro point for the sites; you do have the opportunity to talk with and sometimes meet interesting people you wouldn't otherwise have the chance to.  Again, this is why being in the country I posted on a couple of them.  A very wise economics professor of mine once said "You can never have too much money or too many friends."  He was right.   

Today's Ponder Point:  If a picture really is worth a thousand words, the delete key must be close to priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment