Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

DEPLETED DESERT

You know, it's funny what a person can get use to, especially in the world of rural dating. After a while you even start to think "I'd settle for someone honest." I cannot believe I just said that! Settle? Really? How sad is that? Oh, wait, I started out with funny didn't I? Sounds like the premise for a Woody Allen movie all of a sudden. Bear with me now, I'm breaking in a new soap box.

Fact is, however, I actually did say that and, at the time, I believe I meant it. As I have said many times, one of the greatest hazards of dating in the country is depleted selection to start with (we'll call it Depleted Desert). Now, think of distance and job restrictions as the Santa Anna winds. Put all that together and you talk about the perfect storm... the perfect DUST storm!  

But as I was saying about 'settling for honesty'. If you only knew the amount of the wannabes, wishIweres and Icanbes I've heard from you'd understand my statement. It's like you're lost in the Depleted Desert with a dust storm approaching and nowhere to hide when suddenly, out of nowhere, appears the mirage. You know the one...Mr. Heza Perfect Wrangler - all 6'0 of him with his dark hair, nice build, blue eyed self. You rub your eyes and shake your head to see if it's real, saying to yourself the whole while "If this is a dream, don't wake me up." He sure seems perfect. 

So you inch closer, a step at a time, fighting that darn wind and dust until finally, finally -you're right up close. Then you squint your eyes one more time, opening them cautiously - one at a time as you reach out for him. Where'd he go? Damn, he's gone. Let me see, so you close your eyes and open them again. Oh, wait, there he is... He's on the NEXT sand dune. Obviously, my camel needs GPS. "Hang on honey, I'm headed that way."

Funny thing about mirages, they may look vivid but they're not real. So while you may like the image, remember an image is fake. See where I'm going with this? I know the journey across the desert seems hopeless to the point that you'd settle for anything but take my word for it - DON'T! The real thing - the honest one - may be just over the next dune? And what girl doesn't like to be rescued by a strong, honest man? They're the ones that don't just throw down their coat over a mud puddle for you to cross... they carry you over it. 

As for the mirage, well I prefer to save the game of peekaboo for 2 year olds not 52 year olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment