Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 26, 2012

LOVE-LIFE or SELF-LOVE?

I've noticed some things in the news lately that have me thinking and we all know what happens when I start thinking. That's right, a little more use out of my shiny new soap box. This topic, however, is a little more serious; it's a topic concerning the all-consuming quest for love. Now, like the knights of ole, this quest may take many paths but they all arrive at the same forest - the "SHERWOOD BE NICE TO FIND LOVE FOREST". 

In today's media we see all of these beautiful, rich, famous women (and men) and we all think the same thing: "Boy have they got it all!" With Demi Moore's recent interview quotes and health lapse, though, I think it drives home the point that, just like us, they face the same challenges and the same quests especially when it comes to love. 

It doesn't matter if you're from the country, a big city or somewhere in between, we've all had the same thoughts Demi has... Am I lovable? Deep down, we all have that bit of insecurity and at the root of it there is always some turning point/event in our lives that has bolstered it. I'm a firm believer in the thought that we should be able to love ourselves before others can but, like a knight on a quest, that can prove to be the deepest, darkest, thickest part of the forest to trudge through. 

How someone else loves you should never dictate how you love yourself. We start our lives completely innocent, understanding only unconditional love but, with time and life, that changes. What a shame. How many of you with kids remember looking at your newborn and thinking "This is the greatest part of me there could ever be"? I know I did that with all of mine. Thing to remember is, our kids ARE the greatest part of us, they are our LOVE. And, if that's the case, then why shouldn't we be lovable? 

I recall your attention to my post of September 20, 2011 entitled "Magic Time Machine" (I'll be reposting it along with this one and urge you to re-read it.)  It revolves around something that happened to me when I was 8 years old. A little boy from my class was on his way to see me when he was run over and killed. This was someone who meant a lot to me, even at that age and to this day, I carry that with me. From then into my adult life, I felt guilty that he had died on his way to my house.  When I read that letter he was carrying for the first time, my thoughts began to change.  I started to believe through his death I had a chance rediscover my life and, more importantly, I AM lovable... as we all can be.  

Sometimes, in the quest for love of others, we forget what's at the core of the quest to begin with. So, rather than always galloping down the love-life trail, maybe we should rein in and lope the path to our own self-love. You never know what may be in the next clearing...

No comments:

Post a Comment