Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

LOVERS LANE TOUR

There are times when I really wish my mouth could run out of gas like my lawn mower. Events of the last few weeks have certainly given me a lot to think about. And you know what that means... that's right... a lot to WRITE about! Good thing my soapbox had a nice rest (and I hoped it enjoyed it's tropical vacation because now it's gonna need it). 

I'm a big believer in the 'eyes front' philosophy on things like driving, taking tests, noticing your obese neighbor is trying to get your attention by exercising shirtless again. You get the gist here. Anyway, while eyes front is certainly the way to go, sometimes using a verbal rear view mirror (not to mention a verbal brake pedal) is not necessarily a bad thing. Yes, I know, I've visited this topic before. But, as I say, things have happened so like the ladies room at a bar after 3 beers I'm revisiting it again. 

Let me set this up for you: You're in a 'discussion' with your significant other. Now consider this discussion like a drive down a country road - just overlay it on top of the map like the one on your iPhone.  If you can envision your 'discussion' (ladies' code word for disagreement) as that drive here's where you will arrive at that little fruit stand you're looking for in tact and in still in the same car. So, there you are, just tooling along, taking in the sites, discussing the potholes along the way.  Suddenly, you realize your partner's eyes are glazed over and he's drifting towards oncoming traffic. (Getting the metaphors here?) And we all know glazed eyes lead to green eyes - a green eyed monster that is so the fight is on.

Why bring this up? I'll tell you why. I'm hoping to save a few of you from the road blocks that I've hit here lately. And I'm talking about road blocks that Bonnie and Clyde would laugh at! My advice: Whatever it is that is about to come out of your mouth, hit the verbal brake, stop the car 2 blocks back and pull over. Open the door and throw it out like a hitch hiker.  After you've done that, like a good driver, it's always best to check the rear review mirror before re-entering traffic. You'll find Lovers Lane about 4 blocks up on the right. 

Moral of the story: Love is like a rear view mirror - it may have a blind spot (or 2) but it's still generally useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment